Executive Director, Hospital Services Group Job
Date: Oct 9, 2013
Location: Galveston, TX, US
Job ID: 33551
Business Unit: SOMED
Full/Part Time: Full-Time (40 hours)
Master's degree in Business or Healthcare Administration and 10 years of related experience.
To assist the Chairs/Directors and Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Academic Enterprise in the operations and strategic planning of the department or Institute/Centers as it relates to budget planning, fiscal and resource planning/administration, human resource utilization, policy administration, and coordination and negotiation of activities with other University departments and administration.
Specific Job Related Duties
Human Resources, Administrative Operations, and Policy Administration:
- Oversees human resource policies and practices with respect to recruiting, compensation, benefits, performance evaluations, career development, and employee performance feedback
- Oversees departmental APT Process and ensures APT process for respective school is followed accordingly with regard to faculty appointments, promotions, and tenure review
- Identifies and adheres to appropriate internal controls for department and reporting structure; provides mechanisms to monitor and enforce compliance
Business Strategic Planning, Budgeting, and Financial Management:
- Works with the Vice President and Chief Operating Officer and Chairs/Directors to identify, develop and implement operational business plans, monitor key metrics, and assist in the decision making of the departments/areas
- Develops and manages all aspects of departmental budget including preparation, submission, maintenance, reporting and audits.
- Responsible for overseeing financial and statistical performance against budget targets.
- Participates in departmental strategic planning ensuring that the developed goals align with the organization's goals and contribute toward market growth, revenue enhancement, cost containment, maximizing clinical practice and research productivity
- Develops and communicates with leadership, compensation plans that incentivize growth with the goal of retention and equality for faculty, implements a semi-annual review of effort, productivity and funding sources for all faculty
- Develops solutions to improve current business processes and make them more efficient. Establishes and maintains effective internal controls for finance, human resources and grants administration. Identifies and seizes opportunities to improve fiscal and operational performance of the department
- Advises the Chair and Chiefs monthly in an appropriate executive form, on financial status against budget, school management metrics, and clinical and research activity. Provides quarterly or annual evaluations (with the Vice Chairs) of trends in research productivity, diversity, academic achievement and other measures noted by the Chair
- Actively participates on Institutional, External, and/or Academic Leadership Committees contributing to the institution at a global level
- Mentors other Director(s) of Administrative Services across the School of Medicine as needed
Service Delivery and Quality Improvement
- Promotes a culture of "Service Excellence" throughout the department
- Sets a tone of leadership that is people-oriented, collaborative in nature and focused in data based decision-making
- Builds a management culture based on teamwork, open communication, prudent risk taking, innovation, mentoring and accountability
- Serves on various committees for School of Medicine, Health System and Institutional committees as requested
- Works with the Health System to ensure strategic goals are being met, as well as, working with the Health System to review the effectiveness of plans implemented and make adjustments as required to assure the predicted volumes of clinical care and physician productivity are met
- Identifies business development opportunities, in partnership with the Health System, to include: sites for new clinics and expansion of current UTMB clinics/services
- Coordinates with other department administrators and department heads to ensure a smooth transition of patient services and care
- Plans for renovation, reBusiness Unit, and other activities related to physical facilities for the departments.
- Reviews incoming documents such as grant applications, University policies and procedures and makes appropriate recommendations to the Chair(s)
Specific Job Related Duties
Interested individuals should contact Pat Hastie at Opus Partners to confirm interest in the positions – email@example.com. Please do not apply via this job vacancy announcement.
President and Chief Operating Officer, Academic Enterprise in the operations and strategic planning of the department or Institute/Centers as it relates to budget planning, fiscal and resource planning/administration, human resource utilization, policy administration, and coordination and negotiation of activities with other University departments and administration.
This position will support the following areas:
Radiology, Anesthesiology, and Pathology (with Center for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Disease)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a high degree of professionalism and competence in dealing with a variety of individuals including physicians and university administrators
- Ability to develop, organizes, and accomplishes goals
- Ability to analyze/evaluate data and make appropriate decisions/ recommendations
- Preparation and analysis of operating budgets and capital equipment evaluation
- Effective problem solving skills
- Leadership and management skills sufficient to effectively direct and develop faculty, managers, and support staff as appropriate
- Experience in a large academic medical center
- Knowledge of healthcare reform and managed care issues
Preferred Work Experience
Previous leadership experience in a public academic medical school environment. Past experience working in a matrix reporting environment. Peoplesoft and Hyperion/Oracle
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution which proudly values diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Nearest Major Market: Galveston
Nearest Secondary Market: Houston
Job Segments: Clinic, Pathology, Manager, Radiology, ERP, Healthcare, Management, Technology