Assistant VP, SOM Administration - Dean of Medicine Job
Date: Oct 9, 2013
Location: Galveston, TX, US
Job ID: 35582
Business Unit: SOMED
Full/Part Time: Full-Time (40 hours)
A Master’s degree or doctorate in business, finance, higher education or related field required. Thirteen years or more of progressive management experience, ideally with some experience in a medical school and preferably including work or close interaction with an academic health system/hospital.
The Assistant Vice President SOM Administration will be responsible for advancing the School of Medicine’s priorities and must develop a collegial relationship with the senior-most administrative executives in the Institution in order to fully represent the School’s interests. In coordination with the Dean, the AVP SOM Administration is responsible for the operational management of the School of Medicine, including strategic planning, faculty affairs, compliance, finance and operations, human resources, animal operations and facilities.
Specific Job Related Duties
Function: The Assistant Vice President Executive Administration will be responsible for advancing the School of Medicine’s priorities and must develop a collegial relationship with the senior-most administrative executives in the Institution in order to fully represent the School’s interests. In coordination with the Dean, the AVP Executive Administration is responsible for the operational management of the School of Medicine, including strategic planning, faculty affairs, compliance, finance and operations, human resources, animal operations and facilities.
Scope: Academic Enterprise
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- The AVP Executive Administration reports to the Chief Operating Officer, Vice Provost, Dean of the School of Medicine, and Provost. The AVP Executive Administration will be the Dean’s designee to senior executive.
- The AVP Executive Administration is responsible for oversight of the administrative areas of the School of Medicine as defined by leadership. The AVP Executive Administration will also manage the daily operations of the Dean’s Office and will work with the Dean and Chief Operating Officers to establish the agendas for the Dean’s senior leadership venues with Chairs and Directors and advance the School’s strategic and operational goals. The AVP Executive Administration will often be the Dean’s designate in senior leadership interactions with faculty, key administrators, donors, and trustees for the School of Medicine.
- The AVP Executive Administration will also work closely with the Dean and Chief Operating Officer to establish and address the priorities for the School of Medicine, which currently include:
- Excellence in academic management with efficient, effective operating and financial systems that allow for departmental Chair accountability while maintaining fiscal health in support of departments, centers, and institutes. This means achieving the highest possible standards in a variety of metrics for the School of Medicine, including national awards and academic subspecialty awards as well as outstanding levels of employee, student and faculty satisfaction. This objective also includes the continued development of a more tightly integrated budget and management process between the clinical departments and UTMB.
- Continue the development of systems and processes to enhance faculty satisfaction and efficiency in research.
- In addition, the AVP Executive Administration will assist the Chief Operating Officer, Dean and UTMB leadership in exploring new models of how interdisciplinary institutes and centers can function successfully superimposed on traditional school and department structures (matrix model).
- The AVP Executive Administration will interact with a diverse array of functional areas within the Health System to advance the mission of the School of Medicine. These areas include information technology, facilities planning, architect, engineering, and corporate human resources.
MARGINAL OR PERIODIC FUNCTIONS:
- Performs related duties as assigned.
CORE COMPETENCIES / LEADERSHIP QUALIFICATIONS:
- A seasoned incumbent with strengths in healthcare/research administration and management.
- An experience-based understanding of the nature of clinical, translational, basic and population-based research.
- A strategist with a strong sense of vision and mission.
- Supervisory and management skills sufficient to effectively facilitate interactions among senior leadership colleagues, faculty and staff that lead to development of institutional action plans.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to creatively and innovatively approach problem-solving.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Good analytical and conceptual skills paired with orientation to detail.
- Ability to build consensus and use both inclusiveness and rationale over edict; decisive in decision-making after examining issues from all reasonable aspects, and willing to revise decisions made in the face of relevant, and new reliable information.
- A blend of business acumen and altruistic sensitivities.
- Politically savvy, with an appreciation for the complexities of UTMB’s existence as a university health science center with global reach that is owned and operated by a state university system.
- Ability to be attentive to the details of daily operations while understanding the importance of proper delegation.
- Active participation on committees and in meetings and effective follow-through.
- Proven experience in participatory and matrix management, including several levels of management and staff, to identify and resolve problems and to develop plans, objectives, strategies, policies, budgets and organizational/operational structures.
- An ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously, i.e., a parallel processor.
- A demonstrated record of leadership ability and professional accomplishment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution which proudly values diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Nearest Major Market: Galveston
Nearest Secondary Market: Houston
Job Segments: Engineer, Strategic Planning, Research, Engineering, Strategy